I found that before you can do any trading that is even vaguely worthwhile, you need to do the following ground work:
- Locate the navigation satellite factory in Argon Prime.
- By some of the basic satellites
Note: If they are none then look at the primary resources for the factory, if they have zero stock of something then they cannot produce the satellites. In this case have a look around for the bits they need and supply it to the station. For reference:
Energy Cells – Ore Belt
Majaglit – Not sure yet but apparently Paranid space is the place to get this shit
Silicon Wafers – Herron Nebular
- Leave the fighter dock at the factory and do some cash ruins with the old clunker.
- Check back periodically with the fighter (access it using the ‘r’ key to bring up the ‘my property’ menu). As soon as sats are made, snap them up.
- When the fighter has about 10 sats on board , transfer over to it. At this point you may want to start doing some manual trading with the freighter to keep the money coming in.
Note: This will become MUCH easier once the sats are in place.
- Jump to a sector you have explored. When you arrive, fly to the edge of the map away from all the ships / stations as much as possible.
- Press ‘y’ to open the ship menu then press the ‘Open bay’ button (or just press ‘o’).
- Press ‘y’ to open the ship menu then press the ‘Freight’ button (or just press ‘f’). From this menu select the nav sat then press eject. For fuck sake make sure you only have ONE selected before you eject it, otherwise you then have to hunt down 9 of the bleeders before you move on.
- Repeat in each sector this until you run out of sats.
- Now when you got to the galactic map (‘,’ key) you can select a sector with a sat in it, then click on each factory in turn and press the ‘u’ key to view what they need and how much they are buying it for.
- After a bit of pissing about you will spot a gap in the market, then somewhere that sells the stuff they want cheap, then you make money.