Well, having recently entered the prison - which I believe is the last section of the game), I thought I would post up some of my thoughts on the game so far.
I like the game, it has been enjoyable and kept me coming back. It is also full of bugs and flaws. It is a game that could have been truly fantastic if it was done right. This is not to say the game is bad, it's not, it's a flawed gem of a game - but still a gem.
The story is quite frankly, a waste of time. Better not to focus on that. The beginning of the game starts out nicely. You feel very much like you are scrounging for supplies and "surviving". This changes by the time you hit Act 2. You instead become Rambo.
Melee weapons are the bulk of what you will be using for most of the game and while it is originally satisfying, it gets quite tedious after a while. There never seems to be much variation or change in the way you use these weapons - or much skill. The combat mechanics could have been a lot better here. The weapons you use also break with astonishing ease and require constant repair. I don't mind the theory of this, but it happens way to quickly IMO.
Guns are a lot more fun to play with, or at least they would be if they could be used more often. Ammo is so limited that you tend to save your ammo for only the toughest situations, or when fighting human opponents. Fair enough, but I would still liked to have seen a bit more here.
Levelling up seems to be a very mixed bag too, since although you are gradually getting more health and better skills, so to do the enemies level up. The result is that you never really feel like you are progressing at all. It ultimately comes down to how good your weapons are.
The game appears to be full of bugs- even over a year after release and several patches. Here are a few I have encountered so far:
- Picking up alcohol occasionally (and randomly) swaps out the weapon you are holding with the bottle you just picked up. It is extremely annoying to have to keep going back to your inventory and fixing this.
- NPC's get stuck (or don't appear at all) - requiring a reload (or death).
- Save-game system has sometimes loses progress since your last play. I guess this is how the checkpoint system "works" - except that it is infuriating.
- Zombies can sometimes walk through walls.
- Certain quests are buggy. One in particular springs to mind: I was tasked with eliminating all zombies outside a workshop. I drove up to flatten the zombies, and one of them got pushed through a wall. Result: could not complete quest.
- After setting a custom map marker on the map screen, your map will no longer track progress of quests after you have removed it. At all. You have to restart the game.
Anyway, I am waffling, so here is a quick run-down of my thoughts: Pros
- Killing zombies is always fun
- Decent loot system
- Ability to upgrade and mod weapons is cool, if a little tame.
- Big game world
- Addictive game-play Cons
- Combat becomes tedious
- Levelling-up does not really make much of a difference
- Weapons break way to often
- Little point in exploring the world
- Quests are extremely samey and basic
- Story-line is pointless
- Very buggy
- Could of been so much better
- UI (specifically inventory and map screen) are horrible
I just re-read my review, and noticed how negative it is. This was not my intention. Weird, since I do actually like the game - and it is good fun. It's just a bit of a shame, as it could
have been brilliant.
Last edited 14 Nov 2013 at 11:00.