Basics of Farming:
- Find any patch of soil with direct sunlight. Crops require sunlight but not water (the exception to this is mushrooms which can be grown without sunlight).
- Use the hoe to till the soil by right clicking on the required site of the crop. When the soil is tilled the graphic is updated to make it look shit brown.
- Put the required seed in your belt and right click to place the seed onto the tilled soil.
- The plant goes through the following stages:
- Growing (transition from seed to growing in about 30min real time)
- Harvestable Crop (transitions from growing to harvestable in about 45 mins real time)
- Once the seed has reached the harvestable stage which indicated by the crop being given its actual name (i.e. corn, potato etc), select hands from the tool bar and punch the crop ONCE to harvest.
- The crop then reverts to the seed state and the cycle continues.
- If the crop is harvested and reverts to the seed state and it is punched a second time, the see is removed from the ground and placed into the inventory. This has one useful purpose and one not so useful purpose:
Useful - This mechanism can be used to relocate crop if required with no detriment to the seed.
Not So useful - If the crop is 99% grown and it is punched, all growth will be undone and the seed pulled from the ground. This will result I n a seed in the inventory and not food.
- The amount of crop gathered from a single plant is determined by the living off the land perk where:
Level 1 = one crop per plant
Level 2 = two crops per plant
Level 3 = three crops per plant
Level 4 = four crops per plant
Level 5 = five crops per plant
- Seeds are obtained by crafting. This generally requires 4-5 of the original crop (i.e. fully grown and edible food but non cooked) to make one seed.